Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Own DIY Owl Clock with Numbers for School

Many teachers add numbers around the clock face to help students learn what time increment each number stands for.  I've seen this clock many times....
Clock flower
I wanted to stick with my owl theme and to not have the numbers so close to each other. 

Here's the skinny... a.k.a. what you'll need to have - 
A clock - I found mine at Target for $6.99, here's the orange version.  You can see the numbers are raise & white.

A sharpie in what ever color you'd like.  I used teal to make my clock.
Scissors
Scotch Tape
Super Glue
Spray Paint - I had teal, white, and purple in my garage from previous projects.
Download, print on cardstock, and cut out Owl Clock Numbers from Second Grade Discoveries at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Owl-Clock-Numbers.
12 Popsicle sticks

I spray painted four Popsicle sticks in each color so they had time to dry.

 
Now the fun part.  The back of the clock and the edge has about a 1/2 an inch difference and it needs to be almost level for the Popsicle sticks to stick out.  I cut the bottom off the box from the clock, trimmed the sides to about 1/2 inch and used it to make small 'stands' for the sticks to be flush with the rim.   


I cut 18 strips from the bottom piece,




...taped them together, 








and super glued them to the back of the clock and glue the Popsicle sticks about an inch in from the rim on each side.









Add the clock numbers with some more glue and voile!  You have your own owl clock with number that are farther spaced apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment